Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My Day of Good Karma

They say, "what goes around, comes around." They also say, "you reap what you sow." I have no idea who "they" are, but they appear to be right.

I've had days like this before. On an impulse, I did something compassionate or charitable that had no apparent reward attached to it, and somewhere else along the path of my day, something pleasant and unexpected happened.

At the moment I'm unemployed, so I'm usually home during the day, sitting at the computer, with the TV on for company. Today being the anniversary of Katrina, it was all over the tube. At one point I was watching Ellen, and even though the show was a rerun from May, it was all about Katrina, and the people affected, and the efforts being made, and those still needed, to help the thousands left homeless. Being the powderpuff I am about stuff like this, when they showed Ellen visiting the lower 9th ward and talking to folks who'd lost everything, I got all weepy and decided to go online and make a contribution to one of the relief efforts. I probably donated more than an unemployed person should, but it was much less than I wanted to give.

I'm not telling you this to toot my own horn. This is just by way of illustrating my point. So, tonight, I headed out to Trader Joe's and Panera Bread to get some dinner and a few other items. I'm new to this area and when I got to the shopping center I noticed a music store. I've been wanting to pick up a set of earphones and an extension cord to watch TV with (I have noisy upstairs neighbors I'm trying to drown out), so in I went. The fellow who waited on me was very pleasant and extremely helpful, offering to order the cord I needed (they didn't have one in stock), and cutting me a huge break (35%!) on the earphones when I said that they were more than I wanted to spend.

Then, I went into Panera Bread to order some dinner. I forgot to ask for the caramel pecan brownie that I spotted on my way in, and wanted for dessert, when I ordered my soup and sandwich. When I remembered, after the cashier had rung up my purchase, I said, "Oh, sorry, I meant to order a brownie, too." She said, "Don't worry about it," and went off to get the brownie. I thought she meant, "Don't worry about forgetting to order it." But then, when she came back to the register and I started to hand her money, she said again, "Oh, no, don't worry about it." I got my brownie for free!

So, there you go. Karma. Good karma, for a change. Who'da thunk it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There really does seem to be something to the karma thing for some people. Do you watch My Name is Earl?

Unfortunately, it seems to me that my life runs by the axiom "no good deed goes unpunished." :)

Kate said...

I don't watch My Name is Earl, but I know the premise.

I think that the reason I'm always taken aback by a day like this is that for me, it also seems more often than not to be the "no good thing" effect. ;o)